Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pirate Study


6" x 6" oil on canvas panel

This pirate and I fought for a good chunk of my morning and I'm not sure who won the battle.   My reference photo wasn't too good - not enough color and I had to make it up as I went.  Last summer,  I was in Houston, Texas visiting my sister and we decided to go to Whole Foods where they were celebrating "Pirates Day" or something like that.  This was a customer who was dressed to the nines in pirate costume and he was really into his character.  I asked him if I could take his picture and he was more than eager to oblige.  He was a pretty convincing pirate - never once did he really smile.  I had my flip camera and I was able to film him.   This photo really has a glare, but now on the left side.  I still can't figure out how to photograph these.  The light reflects off of the oils and I am always experimenting with different areas of my house to take these in.  I welcome any suggestions in the "comments" section.

No comments:

Post a Comment