I thought I would try a bird's nest today. A shop where I display asked me to do some birds and nests so I painted this one - a little tough getting started but it turned out looking like a nest, I think.
This is a rework on a previous post. After viewing it across a large room, I decided it didn't have enough contrast in it so I reworked pretty much over the entire painting. It looks much brighter now than it did. I tend to paint literally and many times reference photos need some extra help with color.
Took this reference photo in New Orleans a couple of years ago and decided to paint it yesterday. Actually, there were more people in the photo but I decided to "edit" them out. The painting itself is a 12 x 16 that I have cropped. When I took out the people, I was just left with a lot of building and it looked empty so I started cutting.
Finished this one today in painting group. I started on it last week but still haven't gotten back into my daily painting yet, just a lot to do this time of year that distracts me from painting. I need to get back into it as there is a show coming up in April that I need to have at least 10 to 15 new paintings for (in a larger format than the 6 x 6 and 5 x 7 pieces I have been doing lately).
This is a recent commission I did of a friend's "granddogs". They were fun to paint and I always enjoy painting something that is "special" to the recipient; of course it is usually accompanied by anxiety - hoping they will like it as much as I do. One is a blockhead lab and the other a field lab.
This was going to be the second bird in a pair but I got in a hurry and didn't really think out my proportions well and, as a result, lost a lot of his tail (the other bird has more tail). I paint by feel mostly and the reference photo was larger than my canvas which usually results in me thinking bigger while I paint. Oh well, I will just redo him in a smaller size to match the other bird. I really liked the lavenders and purples in his feathers though - the reference photo was good!