Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Backyard Cardinal


6 x 6 oil on gessobord

This Cardinal flew in the other day and landed on my curly willow.   I had to hustle to get my camera ready before he flew away.  Birds don't stay long in my teeny new tree.   After completing the painting, I was trying to photograph it and dropped it in a plastic garbage can and totally scraped off the front of his body.  Paint literally scrapes off these gessobords very easily, leaving you with  a big smear.    Note:
Backgrounds give me fits.  I have changed this one 3 times and still can't get the effect that I want.  I love Elizabeth Blaylock's bird paintings.  She has such lively, colorful backgrounds. 

1 comment:

  1. He's perfect Wanda! We have 1 pair around here and are hoping they'll stay. Backgrounds are a pain, aren't they? I like your mix of colors behind him.

    ReplyDelete